Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Languages rock


I have just gone through a rather amazing experience. I signed up to attend a course that would enable me to acquire languages. To be able to test the system completely I needed to choose a course in one of the African indigenous languages. I chose Zulu. I had no intention of learning to speak Zulu. Didn't particularly want to learn Zulu. Never thought Zulu was for me.... etc. etc.


One month after our first classroom session, I was making new friends.
One month after our first classroom session, I greet Zulu people in Zulu
One month after our first classroom session, I greet Zulu people in Zulu and they understand me.
Six weeks after our first classroom session and two hands on days in Alexandra, my new friends are sure that I am serious about learning their language.
At the end of each day, one or two more words added to my vocab empowers me. It sets me apart. It strengthens my belief in myself and in the people around me. And... I am starting to understand what people are saying around me.... what a Month!!!


Yesterday...
At gym I enquired of an Indian Lady whether she knew enough Hindi to be one of my helpers. As I only know two words.
Greeted a Chinese gentleman in Chinese, spoke both English and Afrikaans to people on the phone. French was practiced in the parking lot when I parked my car and Zulu practiced in the grocery store, on the way home, in my car... my music is Italian....

No comments:

Post a Comment